At Sherburn Primary we are keen to promote the study of a foreign language because of its increasing importance in the modern world. We want to embed language learning into our curriculum. Enriching the curriculum and releasing children’s creative energy through sport drama, music and languages reinforces their understanding of the basics and helps them enjoy a broader, more balanced curriculum.
The experience of learning and using a foreign language makes its unique contribution to the whole curriculum by taking children out of the familiar environment, which is pervaded by English, and allowing them to explore the life-style and culture of another land through the medium of its language. This in turn provides a satisfying, enjoyable and intellectually challenging experience for children in coping with a different linguistic medium.
It is the intention that all children in KS2 will access first quality teaching of French in order to adequately prepare them for KS3.
In French, pupils will learn to:
- read fluently
- write imaginatively
- speak confidently
- understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
We aim to ensure that pupils:
- Develop an interest in learning other languages
- Understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources.
- Speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation.
- Understand a different culture and develop a greater awareness of cultural differences in countries other than our own.
In Early Years and Key Stage 1 MFL activities such as songs, classroom phrases and games may at times be part of classroom practice. In Key Stage 2 teaching and learning follows the coverage grid set out below. For detailed coverage please see the overview appropriate to each year group.
Please click on these links to see:
Long term planning
Coverage by year groups
Progression of Skills document